The month of Ramadhan is a month of Allah. The Ramadhan is one of the names of Allah. Imam Baqir (A.S.) said “don’t say that this is Ramadhan or Ramadhan went or Ramadhan came. It is because Ramadhan is one of the names of Allah and Allah don’t come and go anywhere. Therefore, when you talk about this month, say that The Month of Ramadhan”
Another reason for the name of this month is that this month wipes out sins like the sun heat which evaporates water from the earth. The holy prophet, Muhammad (PBHAHF) said: “We say it the month of Ramadhan because it burns the sins”
The month of Ramadhan has great honor above all other months because of its benefits, blessings and bounties. Shaykh al-Saduq has narrated on the authority of Imam al-Rida(a.s.) on the authority of his immaculate fathers on the authority of Imam Ali Ameer al-Momineen(a.s.) who said that the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.), once, delivered a speech, saying,
- The month of Ramadhan has come upon you with the message of blessings, mercy and forgiveness.
- This is the month has the greatest honor before Allah than any other month.
- Its days are best among all other days, its nights are better than all other nights and its moments are better than all other moments.
- This is the month where you are the guest of Allah and you are entitled to lots of blessings.
- Your breaths are considered prays for Allah, your sleep is considered worship and your good deeds are accepted.
- Your prays are accepted, therefore, pray to Allah with good intention and pure heart so Allah provides you with the opportunity of keeping fasts and recite Quran in this month.
- The unfortunate is the one who is not granted forgiveness in this month.
- Feel the the hunger and the thirst of this month like the hunger and thirst of the day of Judgment.
- Give donations to the poor and the destitute.
- Respect your elders and have mercy on children
- Help your relatives
- Keep your tongues clean from bad deeds
- Keep your eyes away from looking to the prohibited and the unlawful.
- Don’t hear any anything which unlawful in Islam.
- Be merciful to the orphans so people be merciful to your orphans after you.
- Quit sins and turn your attention completely towards Allah
- Raise your hands for prays at the best time of prayers when Allah grant special mercy and accepts prayers and when you call him, he accepts
- O people who are imprisoned within your own deeds, ask forgiveness from Allah.
- If your back is heavily burdened with sins, then lighten that with long prostrations
- Remember that Allah has sworn on his honor that He will not punish anyone in this month who prayed and who prostrated in this month and will not put them in hell fire
- O people, whoever provide food to a believer for opening his/her fast, Allah will give them rewards of freeing a salve and forgiveness of their past sins. Some of his companions asked that not everyone is rich enough to get free a slave for getting such high rewards, then the prophet (PBUHHF) said get yourself protected from hell fire by providing food to one who kept fasting even if it is half date or with a sip of water. Allah will provide equivalent rewards for opening a fast if you are not more capable than this.
- O people, keep your morals and ethics in order so you can easily cross the Bridge when many will be slipping into the hell.
- Whoever, will take less help from his/her servants in this month, Allah will be lenient to him on the day of judgment
One of the night in this month is called “Lailal tul Qadr” in which performing any goods deed and worships are better than which are performed in thousands of other months. Imam Jafar Al Sadiq (AS) said:
“The worship performed in this night is better than those performed in thousands of months in which there is no ‘Lailal tul Qadr’.”
This is the month in which all the sacred books were revealed and it is the month in which Quran was revealed. The Allah says in Quran:
” The month of Ramadhan is the month in which Quran is revealed. It is the guide for mankind and has clear signs to distinguish between the right and the wrong”